A list for this mom.
Now that I've had a few years to settle in as a mother of two boys. I'm ready to conquer the world! Awhile back I ran into a list of "Cool Things to do Before You Die" that I wrote in 1999. Sooooo I'm ready to start checking items off like, "Skydiving" and "Bungee Jumping" and "backpacking through Europe."
But then that song by The Byrds starts playing in my head: "To everything, turn, turn, turn, there is a season, turn, turn, turn. . ."
So I've written a more appropriate list for this season in my life. A list of REALLY cool things I HAVE done:
But then that song by The Byrds starts playing in my head: "To everything, turn, turn, turn, there is a season, turn, turn, turn. . ."
So I've written a more appropriate list for this season in my life. A list of REALLY cool things I HAVE done:
Felt the world shift and change when I held my newborn son Preston and again with Theo.
Given away perfectly good/expensive pants because they just don't seem to zip up anymore.
Walked around with snot on my shoulder and pretended it's normal.
Cursed the makers of really loud annoying toys.
Rocked my baby until he fell asleep, and then kept rocking anyway.
Gained superhero kissing powers -- I kiss it, it's okay.
Made a tent out of blankets and chairs and crammed my mom butty into it.
Learned I am really not a patient person, but try to work on it.
Decided that bribery really does do the trick.
Read a Parenting book and thought, "Do they even have children?"
Allowed others to think I am crazy while I drive down the road doing the actions to "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed."
Smiled and managed not to punch the people without children who give me advice on how to discipline them.
Put yourself in time out.
Given up career opportunities, wistfully, but gladly.
Heard my children say, "I love you so much!"
Ignored my dirty house to play Indians
Slipped, tripped or twisted on a Lego
Crept into the boys room at night, just to make sure the covers are on and that they're still breathing.
Tried to explain why clothing is mandatory.
Had to apologize to a stranger.
Said, "That's not funny." when really, if I weren't the parent, it was funny.
Felt extreme anger at another child when they hurt my children.
Eaten a soggy cracker. (and wondered how it got that way)
Thought sadly of hungry people as I scrapped my child's uneaten food into the garbage.
Even though I vowed never to say it, yelled, "Because I said so."
Not left the house for three or more days.
Conversed with other adults about poop, drool, and snot.
Thought, "My gosh. My children are the most adorable things in the entire world."
Smiled/cry when your kids hugged each other.
Thrown away Halloween/Easter candy (after fishing out all the chocolate bars).
Felt triumphant when Preston spelled his name without prompting to your now impressed neighbor / relative / friend.
Realized that children's books are sometimes written for adults.
Had to remind myself not to talk in a sing-songy, super calm happy voice when speaking to other adults.
Gotten an unexpected kiss and a hug.
Thought, "Oh, my parents were right."
Prayed really hard that we are raising them to be good, thoughtful, happy people.
Hoped they won't remember the time you accidentally forgot about them.
Hoped they will remember the times you read stories / sang / played with them.
Felt like the Wicked Witch of the West.
Given an Eskimo kiss till my nose hurt
Felt your heart strings tug when they first let go of your hand to venture off on their own.
Wore matching outfits with my boys and thought it was awesome.
Tried to keep the car nice by not allowing food, then gave up. (a day later)
Heard my boys yell excitedly, "Mommy!" when I walk into the room.
Vanquished a monster with a Harry Potter wand
Learned to traverse the kitchen with a small child clinging to your legs and the phone on your shoulder.
Since Gram died in February we have been spending every Wednesday with gramps. It isn't the same without our sweet gram. Poor Theo just doesn't get it. He asks for her every time. And yells out for her telling her to wake up. Today I realized that my list needs to be simple. I should be happy with my list. My list should read:
BE A MOM TO TWO LITTLE BOYS!
and so it is.

Comments